Saturday, March 17, 2018

Homeownership


My husband and I have been homeowners for nearly one whole year! It has been awesome. We worked very hard to create the space we wanted, and it has definitely paid off. Many decisions had great importance, and I’m content with the time, energy, and money we spent on those things. Other decisions have had very little consequence to me, despite seeming so important at the time. I laugh at how long I spent caring so deeply about those things!

The decision to gut our entire kitchen (down to the studs) and spend good money on new cabinets and granite countertops, was hands down the best investment we made to our house. Worth every penny. Of course, I researched the heck out of each minuscule detail of the project to make sure we didn’t overspend one bit. Sometimes Zach was not as eager to “talk numbers” as I was, but I’d like to think he appreciated the money we didn’t have to waste. As you know from my previous posts, my kitchen fills me with joy and gratitude every day. I have enough counter space and storage space, and Zach and I no longer complain about how hard it is to cook and clean. I spend a lot of time in my dining room/kitchen area, and you should never underestimate the power of a happy space.

The paint color choices were also well worth my time and energy. Zach painted our old apartment with very bold colors, and I was totally over it. I didn’t want to choose a random color now, only to repaint in 5 years because it no longer pleased me or matched my decor. I needed something simple and steadfast. I didn’t go the normal route by mulling over paper swatches at the hardware store. Instead I went on Pinterest and Google and researched the best/calming/neutral/awesome interior paint colors on the market. I wanted something on trend, but I needed to be told what trendy was. Now when people come into my house, they tell me how great my color choices were! They are neutral, but pretty. They go well with my decor, and flow easily from room to room. I feel happy by the calming blues, grays and greiges! Each time I buy a new pillow, knick-knack or candle, I know it will coordinate with any room because of the colors I used. *Pats self on the back*

Now onto things that didn’t really matter. When we first moved in, I thought we needed to refinish every hardwood floor in our house. They were not in terrible shape, but some main areas were worse than others. The ideal time to do the floors would have been before we moved in, so I tried to get the ball rolling early. But after researching how to do it ourselves, and knowing I couldn't afford a professional to do it, I quickly got discouraged. The kitchen project was so extensive I REALLY didn’t want to tackle anything else, so against my “better” judgement, we decided against refinishing. Boy was I glad, because fast forward past a few trips to Ikea, every hardwood floor in the house was adorned with a beautiful new rug! Whatever wood was still visible around the edges was in great shape anyway! Crisis averted. Money saved. :) One year later, I couldn't care less about what’s under my rugs.

My daughter’s room also didn’t get some fixes we originally planned. She still doesn’t have a bedroom door, *ha!* but let’s be honest, she doesn’t care. We purchased a door, and it’s currently sitting in our garage waiting to be installed. But nothing is square upstairs, and alterations will need to be made in several places, so we simply got lazy and put that project on the back burner. The room also has some built-ins that need repairing, but this kid doesn’t care about built-ins either. She’s got baskets full of toys and large room to play in. The many tasks that never got crossed off my to-do list don’t bother her at all. She’s more interested in cutting paper into teeny tiny pieces or inviting her stuffed animals over for tea. Perspective! I’m hoping spring time will invigorate us to tackle some of these home repairs again. I better update my list for when the spirit moves me. ;)

One thing I do regret a little was the kitchen backsplash. I wish we installed one! I did my extensive research and knew exactly what I wanted to buy. I had it loaded in my online shopping cart for weeks, but the kitchen project was hemorrhaging money fast, and I couldn't justify spending any more. I put it in the “someday” column of my brain, and moved on. But a week or two would go by, and I’d find myself longing for the curvy lines of that beautiful arabesque mosaic tile again. I’d go online and put it back in my shopping cart, but chicken out at the last minute and close the browser. At one point I remember saying, “Forget the pretty one!”, and I settled for a simple cheap tile, just to get something on the wall. But another week would go by and I’d say, “No Liz .. NO! … You didn’t work so hard on your nice kitchen just to ‘settle’ on a backsplash!” Thus ran my inner dialogue for months until life happened, and work happened, and I no longer had the desire to remodel anything at all. Here we are, one year later, and still no backsplash … but hey … I just checked, and it’s currently on sale at Wayfair sooooo …. maybe this is a sign that good things come to those who wait. ;)

Aside from the “big” things, plenty of the little things have been worth it/not-so-worth-it, too:

Not getting cable -- worth it (Netflix and Amazon Prime gives us enough entertainment)

Not buying tools before we needed them -- NOT worth it. We couldn’t shovel for the first snow storm because I didn’t deem it important to buy a shovel before it snowed (why?!). One day our roof was leaking, but we needed to go out and buy a ladder in the pouring rain before we could fix it! Later, a tree limb broke and was leaning on our power line, but we had to go buy a saw before we could attend to it. These are tools everyone needs eventually. We should have just bit the bullet and got them all at once with our 10% off Lowes coupon.

Obsessing over wall art -- not worth it. I got a few pieces that I liked at first, but a lot of my walls are still bare. I felt pressured to get the “perfect” wall hangings, but in reality, the best pieces to cherish are discovered and collected over time, not purchased at a chain store.

Buying a push “reel” lawn mower instead of a gas powered one -- Both hubby and I are still on the fence with this one. I like the exercise, but I don’t like the uneven cut my grass gets. Can’t beat the price though and my lawn is super healthy looking and very green (ya know… when it’s not covered in snow).

Please tell me I’m not the only one who evaluates things like this. I have a few friends who moved or remodeled recently. I’d love to know what you found worth your time and energy, and what you found totally not worth it. Homeownership is kind of like parenthood. There are SO many things you would do differently if you had the knowledge you do now. And there are probably a few things you’d do again and again, because you’re awesome and can parent like a boss. :)

We haven’t fully cleaned out the garage, and my side yard still has leaves under snow from the fall. Part of my rock wall is collapsing, and the basement floods when it rains too hard. I’ve got unfinished projects, big and small … but my house is my home, and I love it all. *rhyme!*

I don’t take for granted the blessings of this place. I thank God for His abundant provisions every day. It’s easy to get overwhelmed by life when you regret old choices and stress over new ones, but I hope I continually take comfort in what I already have; a roof over my head, and a beautiful family to share it with. Peace to you and yours!

Xoxo Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment